[vorbis-dev] speech [was Just to dispel any hopes -- RC3 really low bitrate

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Wed Jan 2 12:08:49 PST 2002

This was discussed a long way back. Basically, the answer was use a
voice codec for speech, not a music one like Vorbis. GSM or PureVoice
are available options, EVRC etc are coming.

If you are going to encode speech aggressively with Vorbis, put it
through a hefty noise gate so all the silences are true silence, as
otherwise Vorbis will work hard to preserve the nuances of the room
noise for you.

Based on Monty's comments, are you giving up any attempt to compete with
QDesign 2 at slow modem rates (20-24 kbits/sec) or fast modem rates
[34-40 kbits/sec]