[vorbis-dev] Just to dispel any hopes -- RC3 really low bitrate

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Wed Jan 2 18:16:23 PST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> So what command line options would you recommend for encoding a WAV file
> of voice content, such as a political speech?  I'm looking for the
> smallest file size possible which is still listenable.

Down-sample the file as low as you can stand, then see how far down you can
get the encoder to produce something listenable with it.

e.g.: sox infile.wav -r 22050 -c 1 -t wav - |oggenc -b 24 -o outfile.ogg -

Question: Can you use -q with rates below 44100?  Jack's announcement was,
to me, not clear about what is limited to 44100/48000 and what isn't.

Geoff.