[vorbis-dev] problem building vorbis-tools-1.0rc3

Rick Bunke rbunke at helios.acomp.usf.edu
Tue Jan 1 19:30:49 PST 2002

I got it to compile, but not the "right" way.

I looked at debug output from the libtool and compared that against the
libtool script.  It was too big for me to figure out exaclty where it
was going wrong, but I saw enough to know libtool was testing for the exisitng
of the file /usr/lib/libogg.la and when it couldn't find it at that location
it gave up.  So I simply copied that one file from /usr/local/lib/ to /usr/lib
and it compiled fine.  Libtool even set up the the correct path to libogg.so
/usr/local/lib/libogg.so.  Then I deleted the copy of libogg.la in
/usr/lib when it was done compiling.

I know it's a lame fix, but it worked.

Thanks for your help and if you still want to try find out what the
problem actually was, I'll be glad to help you out.

"The net is too big, too important, too political to be treated as something
for only a band of talented engineers to preside over."
                   - ICANN

Whenever there is a conflict between human rights and property rights,
human rights must prevail.
                   - Abraham Lincoln

Information is the currency of democracy.
                   - Thomas Jefferson