[vorbis-dev] vorbiscomment inconsistency

Simon Hosie simon.hosie at clear.net.nz
Wed Jan 23 21:12:01 PST 2002

I think that vorbiscomment should really use -c "this=that" to specify
tags on the commandline, consistent with oggenc.  That displaces the
tag source file, so I'd suggest -f, consistent with at least some other
programs (although I can only think of tar, right now).  I'd also
suggest that it use -o for an output filename rather than splattering
the second file on the commandline, which I would expect to suffer
exactly the same fate as the first file on the commandline, whatever
fate that may be.  For example:

vorbiscomment -w -f commontags.txt this.ogg that.ogg
vorbiscomment -a -c "album=this" track1.ogg track2.ogg track3.ogg

Borrowing -e behaviour from crontab would be nice, too, but I'm not
pushing that too hard in case someon suggests I do it, or worse, I get
pounded by script zealots telling me how just one more script in my life
will save someone from a world of proper coding.

I also think that ogg123 should use -o for output filename, not -f, but
I don't expect a change to that to be well received.  Guessing the
output plugin from the filname might be nice, though.