[vorbis-dev] Vorbis memory consumption

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jan 15 21:31:45 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:16:33PM +0100, Erik Olofsson wrote:
> I have been researching using vorbis for streaming (music and sound effects)
> in our xbox game. As it turns out every stream takes about 300 kb when
> decoding from it. This is pretty ok, if I only had to deal with one stream.
> Unfortunately I have to be able to handle more streams simultaneously, and
> 400 kb would be ideal for all stream to take as a maximum.
>
> Is it possible to share some of the data between streams? i.e. the
> codebooks. If this is possible, how much work would it take ?

Vorbis need not use so much decode memory, but our code happens to do
so.  Drastically reducing memory usage would mostly require
redesigning how the codebook code unpacks codebooks; now that Vorbis
officially encourages only lattice VQ, there's no reason to have a
N-dimensional codebook fully always unpacked into an array of size
values^N.

(This is the cause of most of the large footprint)

Monty