[vorbis-dev] Low-bitrate-compatible vorbis decoder/player?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Fri Jan 4 13:48:36 PST 2002

> I'm doing some experiments with relatively low bitrate encoding, and can't
> find a player/decoder that works consistently.  Winamp and freeamp seem to
> choke up when you try to play low-bitrate vorbis files.

 don't think freeamp is up to even rc1, so playing rc3 encoded files
 will probably fail with an error (i've gotten several complaints
 already).

 the winamp plugin at www.vorbis.com/download_win.psp should work fine.
 if not, please let peter know, or post the problems here so we can all
 try and reproduce.

> There's mention of an ogg123 player/decoder, but it doesn't seem to be
> includeed with the vorbis-tools package as advertised.  (Does anyone know
> where it is?  Is it rc3-compatible?)

ogg123 is certainly rc3 compatible but there is not a version for win32
yet (we hope to have one for rc4, but it's a lower priority than most
other things on our lists).

> Are there any other robust rc3-compatible player/decoders?

Any rc2 decoder should be just as god as an rc3 decoder.  Most of the
applications I've used have all at least made it to RC2.

jack.