[vorbis-dev] Comparison between Ogg Vorbis and LAME

Manuel Amador amadorm at zeus.usm.edu.ec
Wed Feb 13 18:50:39 PST 2002

I just followed whatever procedures I could think of to make sound comparison
impartial.  It was a homemade test, yes.  But it still shows that LAME is
easily beaten by ogg (even 3.91.  Alt presets produce way too much bitrate).

luck,

Quoting Gian-Carlo Pascutto <gcp at sjeng.org>:

> [...]
I know that.  But for archival quality, it does.

> > For hearing, blind testing consisting of listening to the original
> sound,
> then
> > listening to a randomized Winamp playlist of 10 samples, 5 originals
> and 5
> > encoded, without seeing the list, and writing results down on a piece
> of
> paper.
>
> This is acceptable, although 10 trials doesn\'t really provide much
> statistical certainty in the general case.
> Read up a little on ABX testing - you\'ll find it usefull for proper
> blind
> testing.
>
> > I used a sample of the first 30 seconds of Aqua - Doctor Jones,
> directly
> ripped
> > from the CD with EAC using C2 capabilities.  I encoded this sample
> using
> the
> > default VBR mode in LAME 3.70 and quality levels 1, 3, 4, 5 and 10
> in
> oggenc.
> >
> > I tried to listen to the first part which consists of the sound of
> the
> forest,
> > and at 5 seconds a string instrument attacks for the next 15
> seconds.
> It\\\'s
> > there that I notice the differences.  Later on the song, when the
> dance
> part
> > comes, I can\\\'t tell squat.  I\\\'ll try and describe the differences.
>
> Note that one sample is not saying much. You certainly shouldn\'t be
> making
> any general-sounding conclusions from it.
I know that.  In this case, it sounds that way.

> > The VBR MP3 done with -V 2 suffers from the same problems, except for
> the
> > underwater sound.  Both MP3 sound like recorded on high-quality tape
> (a
> little
> > wobbly due to the tape engine, and loss of high frequencies that is
> > unavoidable).
>
> MP3 VBR with LAME is tricky business. As you probably have noted by
> now, LAME 3.70 is way outdated. Moreover, getting the best settings
> is a tough job. To see the best MP3 is capable of right now, try
> LAME 3.91 with the setting \'--alt-preset standard\' (and nothing
> else) If you notice any imperfections with that setting, please mail
> again. Many people will be quite interested :)
Alt preset sucks.  It produces way too high bitrate for me to be useful.  True,
it is indistinguishable from the original in my case (not thruly tested) but
nevertheless too much bitrate.  I\'d rather stay with oggenc -q 4.99.  Hey.  I
tested q4.99.  I found that it\'s still not perfect, perhaps due to the guitar
sounds being on the left channel only.

> > Oggenc Q1 sounds distinctly like a 96 kbps Fraunhofer MP3, with a bit
> of
> the
> > choppiness produced by stretching a sound on WaveLab without
> altering
> pitch.
> > Oggenc beats MP3 on space.
>
> Not sure what you mean here. Either you compare quality at equal
> bitrates,
> or bitrates at equal quality. What are you doing here?
I\'m comparing perceptual quality.  The sound of oggenc q1 reminds me of a 96
kbps mp3.

   http://www.usm.edu.ec/~amadorm/IUI\'ll folow up later.  gotta go to class.