[vorbis-dev] compressed audio tutorial - "major" update

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Sun Feb 10 18:17:06 PST 2002

>Me: "with each change in 10 dB corresponding to a doubling of the volume."
>
>Person A: That's strange. My physics schoolbook tells me that each
>          change in 3 dB corresponds to a doubling.
>
>Person B: Isn't it +3 dB -> double power; +6 dB -> double volume?

Actually, I'm right.  (Which shocked me; I made a "D" in Physics.)
+3 dB doubles the power, but +10 dB doubles the perceived volume.

Check out these links for backup.

http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-06/teces_06.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/Semi/SEMI_1.html

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go,