[vorbis-dev] porting Ogg Vorbis to Symbian OS

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Feb 27 01:12:22 PST 2002

>After the libraries were successfull compiled, I started
>porting the ogg123 console app but gave up since it depends
>on various things I dont have like libcurl and libpthreads.
>So I took vorbisfile_example.c and wrote a simple player
>with that. It runs on a Psion netBook but what I can hear
>is not music - just some random repeated noise. I have tried
>to experiment with word size (1 or 2), signed or unsigned
>and endianess, but it does not make a difference.

For testing, you're better off using decoder_example.c (it's
simpler) - but that's unlikely to actually cause significant
problems here.

>The compiler I use is gcc cross compiling for ARM,
>
>[alfredh at dingo er5cpp]$ arm-pe-gcc -v
>gcc driver version cygnus-2.7.2-960323 (Psion GCC tools v113 05/03/1997)
>executing gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-960323

We've hit a LOT of bugs with older versions of gcc in developing vorbis
(and in other compilers) - this is almost certainly the problem. Building
a cross-compiler is never all that much fun, but it shouldn't be too
hard. If it happens with a modern version (3.0.x preferred, but if you
have a reason to use something a bit older that should be ok - 2.95.2
works ok for vorbis on most platforms.)

If it still happens there, please do get back to us.

There's a good chance you'll hit problems later on, trying to decode
in real time (depending on how slow the chip is), but that can be
considered later on...

Michael