[vorbis-dev] ogg123 ^C changes

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Feb 6 16:38:53 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:04:39PM +0100, Hans Schou wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
> > Hans Schou wrote:
> > > Is it a big change to ogg123 to just let it jump to next block when
> > > pressing Ctrl-C ?
> >
> > Good idea.  I'll look into it.
>
> Well, I just talk to a friend about it. He uses ogg a lot and would be
> quite angry if he can't break ogg123 by pressing Ctrl-C once while playing
> a file which is concatenated by 42 files.
>
> So, is it possible to assign a new key to this skip-function which is
> skipping the playing block?
>
> The reason why I asked about to change Ctrl-C is that I looked at the
> source and I could not find out how to add a new key.

Ctrl-C on Unix sends SIGINT; look for that (it's a signal
handler). Skipping by link definately doable; it'll require a seek,
though, so cat a.ogg b.ogg | ogg123 - can't work (unless some changes
to vorbisfile are made for the special case of seeking forward to a
known point, which seems like it can only make the already-complex
vorbisfile even more complicated).

Is the general consensus in favor of Ctrl-C skipping links instead
of files?

Actually, problem with that -- if non-seekable streams still get
skipped to next link, you'll get stuck forever on an icecast or
similar stream (or at least until the server shuts down). So limiting
it to seekable streams only would be reasonable.

It would also be nice, in a UI sense, to be able to display which link
in a chained bitstream is currently playing. Do we all agree on that
too?

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."