[vorbis-dev] who needs documentation?

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sat Feb 2 23:11:33 PST 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Graham Mitchell wrote:

> have some actual free time over the coming months.  So I'd like to volunteer
> my services to write some needed documentation, tutorials, FAQs, etc.

> don't remember how to multiply two non-square matrices, much less what a(n)
> MDCT is.  So API references are probably out.  Also I have no experience with
> formats other than plain text and HTML, which means man pages, info pages,
> DocBook or what-have-you would be prohibitively difficult.

write stuff using simple, traditional HTML markup and convince someone else on
the list ( I volunteer Jack! :) ) convert it to the format we need.

> see [ http://grahammitchell.net/files/copyrand.txt ], which is the
> documentation for a utility I wrote for my own use nearly four years ago and
> subsequently released.

* Update and expand the FAQ on Vorbis.com:

That FAQ is quite stale and could use some updating.  If you decide to do
this, post a request on vorbis at xiph.org for FAQ's (and perhaps answers).  You
can compile the results, clean them up a bit, and send it to Jack.

* An introduction to compressed audio with Vorbis:

Hanging around #vorbis, I can tell you that a lot of people show up with
misconceptions about compressed (especially lossy) audio.  An introduction to
the area which uses Vorbis as the specific example would be a nice thing.
Most people learned about lossy audio from MP3 and some have assigned
attributes of MP3 to Vorbis incorrectly.  Such a document would also have some
tutorial aspects as well.  If this interests you, I (and many others on the
list) could suggest some topics for inclusion.

(And yes, I would suggest that you not do API documentation.)

---
Stan Seibert