[vorbis-dev] Server cutover complete; waiting for root server DNS propogation

Oliver D. Jones odjones at odjones.com
Thu Aug 8 23:16:17 PDT 2002

I must admit to using PairNIC for domain name registrations and DNS
service. Verisign started hacking me off when they wouldn't renew my
domain name (citing my credit card company as refusing the payment, even
though I had more than $1000 in the account). I gave them another chance
before figuring out they probably wanted me to let it go - so they could
market it on GreatDomains.com. Unfortunately for them, they also tried
the same trick on my mother, at pretty much the same time - so we both
got VeriHackedOff, VeriQuickly.

Moved my domain name to PairNIC and never looked back. Not only was it
cheaper ($18/year), but they didn't give a whisper of BS about my credit
card - or my mother's. VeriSign unfortunately lost quite a bit of
business from the little stunt they pulled: when it was time for the
other 10+ domain names I owned to be renewed, I did not bother with them
- I went straight to PairNIC.

With the fracas I have heard about VeriSign giving away peoples' domain
names to the wrong people (who managed to forge details, but not even
convincingly!) and my personal experience, I think their reputation is
100% deserved. I certainly would not trust them enough to get into a
business relationship with them - there are competitors out there who
are quite willing to do a superior service for less money!

Oliver.