[vorbis-dev] dynamicly loading libvorbisenc on Mac OSX

Arne Scheffler a.scheffler at steinberg.de
Thu Aug 15 08:10:54 PDT 2002

On Thursday, Aug 15, 2002, at 16:33 Europe/Berlin, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 03:12 PM, Arne Scheffler wrote:
>
>> I'm using the 1.0 release libs. So they are dylibs, and I'm able to
>> load them dynamicly(?!). I've just imported an oggvorbis file into
>> our app with the dylibs dynamicly loaded. So where do I find more
>> info about it ? Or how do I build the libs with -bundle
>> flag (I'm not very familiar with the gnu-tools)?
>
> I don't understand the technical details, I just remember hearing you
> couldn't load .dylibs dynamically.

More info about this subject would be welcome.

> We use libtool to do the linking. It looks like it knows how to do
> modules, but I'm not sure how to tell it to do so. You can try hacking
> the test in the libtool script to just always return '-bundle' instead
> of '-dynamiclib' and see if that works. But if you're not familiar
> with the gnu toolchain, you might be better off just building your own
> modules in ProjectBuilder. That's fairly painless; just be aware not
> all the vorbis source files are used: the Makefile.am files have a
> clear listing of what's required.

I know, I also can link with the static libs. But the main reason to do
this dynamicly is, that I do not want to (and mostly I can't) release a
new version of our app, when a new oggvorbis version is available. So I
think the libs should be released having this in mind. If we can only
load libs dynamicly which are linked with the -bundle flag, I think the
oggvorbis libs should be build with it.
I know, I hear you complaining that you can link with the dylibs. And
sure I know, but all bundled applications have problems with this libs.
Per example if I'm linking with the vorbis libs and put the libs next
to the executable and try to start the app from the finder it would not
work, as the dyld hasn't the path MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/ in his
search-path. It would indeed work if I put the libs into /usr/lib/ but
I don't want to, and I think it is also not recommended by apple.

> 'vorbis-dev-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is
> needed.

arne