[vorbis-dev] RE: [vorbis] Visual Studio .NET

Steven Robertson 4him at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 16 19:20:51 PDT 2002

<snip>

>Why the fixation with 'official binaries'? I'd just recompile vorbis with
>.NET.

I think he's concerned about upgradability.  If vorbis breaks an rc3 decoder
in the future (I know it shouldn't, but it might), users would need to
upgrade; however, there is no way for the users to upgrade from an official
binary, leaving Epic to distribute a new .NET-compiled DLL with every new
vorbis release.  I think.

Oh, and I am suprised to say that I actually enjoy using .NET (VC++), being
a Microsoft product and all.  Changing from debug to release on Apache
2.0.35, which is really really big, took less than a second on my modest
733MHz box.

Steven Robertson