[vorbis-dev] RE: Visual Studio .NET

fungus meditvr at teleline.es
Tue Apr 16 06:57:26 PDT 2002

Daniel Vogel wrote:
> Dunno, in my experience it produce faster code much faster :)

My code ran about 30% slower, even with the new global
optimization turned on (and every other option which
said "fast" turned on). And yes, I did disable array
bounds checking...

> And they
> finally have correct dependency checking

I found that I could hit build twice in a row
and it could still find something new to compile
(VC++ 6.0 does this as well).

> which allows you to easily switch
> between release and debug builds

I can switch release<->debug just fine in VC++ 6.0.

  though it of course requires checking the
> dependencies which might take a couple of seconds on a slow machine.

It's 1.2Ghz with tons of RAM, really fast hard disks,
etc. There's faster machines but I wouldn't exactly
call it slow.

...and 20 seconds just to check dependencies?
I build the project then hit F7 again and it
grinds for 20 seconds doing absolutely nothing.
VC++ 6.0 doesn't even blink when I do that.

 > All in all I love it. It's a great productivity enhancement here.

20 seconds extra on all builds, and a "rebuild all"
takes twice as long as VC++. That would slow my
day down to a crawl.

Throw in the terrible docs, the fact that the promised
new features (eg. detection of uninitialized vars) are
practically useless (only works for stack vars - which
the compiler will warn you about anyway) and I just said
no. It seems more designed around Microsoft's political
agenda than for programmers who want to write C++ code.