[vorbis-dev] Peer-to-peer audio codec

Chris Nuernberger christopher.nuernberger at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 5 21:37:32 PST 2002

I was hoping there could be such a system where you could have many clients
each broadcasting a bit of the stream and the more streams you received the
better the quality of your data.

So what I would like to see would be you have one audio stream broken up into
N diifferent streams with the property than anyone who gets any one of these
streams would have a low quality idea of what they were listening to, but if
they got another their quality would go up, till if they got all N then their
quality would be equal to what was broadcasted in the first place.  They
could get any two and their quality would go up (as long as they are not the
same stream), etc.

The idea is sort of like forward error correction when you do multicast
stuff.  You have N packets that are mathematically changed in to K (K > N)
packets, but someone only needs to get a certain number of unique changed
packets (also greater than N, you end up needing to recieve more data than
you are getting) but instead of needed all K or whatever unique packets to
reform the original data  stream, you would be able to interpolate if you
didn't get enough data.  And you have many streams, not just one stream of K
packets.

I hope I didn't just lose everyone there.  Chris