[vorbis-dev] Building vorbis-tools without libao

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Sep 3 16:34:07 PDT 2001

> Yes.  Libao is used to playback audio to sound devices.

And to decode ogg files to several formats.  There's no oggdec, as
that's ogg123's job at the moment.  libao is a perfectly justified and
useful addition to the rest of teh vorbis-tools even without having a
soundcard.

That being said...

> I don't know if there is a strong need in general to compile some of the
> tools, but not others.  If so, we can look into enabling the configure script
> to selectively compile certain tools.

I think the amount of mail we get is justification.  I think we should
implement

--with-oggenc=yes|no, --without-oggenc
--with-ogg123=yes|no, --without-ogg123
--with-vorbiscomment=yes|no, --without-vorbiscomment
--with-vcut=yes|no, --without-vcut

and default everything to 'yes'.

that way he can just say

./configure --without-ogg123