[vorbis-dev] Building vorbis-tools without libao

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Mon Sep 3 07:00:05 PDT 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Paul de Weerd wrote:

> It seems that when building vorbis-tools libao is required.
> It also seems, however, that the only vorbis-tool linking
> with libao is ogg123 - the one tool I don't need on my
> server (which has no soundcard anyway). I must be able to
> encode to ogg (oggenc), change comments (vorbiscomment) and
> list the info for these files (ogginfo). All of these are
> not linked to libao :

Yes.  Libao is used to playback audio to sound devices.  The easiest thing to
do right now (as you point out) is to install libao, and then delete it and
ogg123.  However, if you really want to compile without libao, you'll have to
do the following hack (which requires that you have the autoconf/automake
tools installed):

Edit configure.in and remove the line:
   AM_PATH_AO(,AC_MSG_ERROR(libao needed!))

./autogen.sh

You will then have to cd into the dir for each tool you want to build and do
"make" and "make install".

I don't know if there is a strong need in general to compile some of the
tools, but not others.  If so, we can look into enabling the configure script
to selectively compile certain tools.

---
Stan Seibert