[vorbis-dev] vorbis-tools reorganziation and UTF-8 stuff

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sat Sep 22 17:14:52 PDT 2001

I just moved a bunch of shared code (like 4 copies of getopt) into a share
directory within vorbis-tools.  I also moved the UTF-8 code from oggenc into
the vorbis-tools/share directory as well so that it could be used by all of
the tools, since they all need to handle UTF-8 comments correctly.  Header
files for the shared code are stored in vorbis-tools/include.

I have already fixed vorbiscomment to encode comments in UTF-8 (like oggenc
already did), but I have not fixed ogg123 or oggenc to display UTF-8 comments
in the native charset yet.  This is because utf8.c does not have any decode
functions, since they weren't needed.  Since I would rather debug the
kcarnold_branch ogg123 than figure out UTF-8, I'm throwing out this list of
requests to the more motivated and/or knowledgable people out there:

1. Check vorbiscomment to make sure I really did fix UTF-8 encoding on it.  (I
don't know how to test it.)

2. Write utf8_decode() routines for vorbis-tools/share/utf8.c.  We actually
need three implementations: Windows, UNIX with iconv and UNIX without
iconv.  Look at the utf8_encode() routines for examples of what I'm talking
about.  There are already utf8_decode() stubs in both the Win32 and UNIX
#ifdef sections.

3. Update ogginfo to use the newly written utf8_decode() routines.  Whoever
does #2 should do #3 so they have a testbed for their work.

4. Fix oggenc building on Win32.  Since I moved the getopt and utf8 code
around, I'm sure I broke Win32 builds.  :(

Thanks to anyone who tackles these problems!

---
Stan Seibert