[vorbis-dev] Re: Vorbis as a Quicktime codec

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Sat Sep 22 07:00:41 PDT 2001

Kevin Marks wrote:

Ok, I might sound confused right now...  15 hours of jetlag ;-)

> Nick, Segher, Steve,
> I'm confused. Call me a naive stonemason in a software cathedral, but
> I thought the whole point of this Open Source dream was that you
> released the source when it was just about working, and got others to
> help you debug it. It seems daft for you all to be independently
> implementing the same kinds of QT components.

Heh yeah.  Well, the reason I can't post the source as is, is that it uses
a lot of Apple example code, and I don't think the license on that allows
me publishing the changed code.  I might be wrong at this, of course; never
really saw any license.

> If there are things that QuickTime needs to change to better support
> Vorbis, you're far more likely to get those changes if you submit bug
> reports with source.

For the current degenerate Vorbis-only streams, I'm ok on decode side;
although having the ability to say that one "compressed" sample outputs
0 pcm samples (AddMediaSampleRef with a time of 0) would be nice; but I
can hack around it.

For future full-spec Ogg streams, we will need to write a mediahandler, I'm
afraid; just like mpeg system streams have a custom mediahandler, iirc.
I haven't found any documentation on those, but that might be just me.

> If you have problems with QT pieces, do please post on the QT-API
> list (I know some of you already have).

I do :-)

Segher