[vorbis-dev] Re: Vorbis as a Quicktime codec

Nick D'Amato nick at nouturn.com
Thu Sep 20 20:47:10 PDT 2001

On 9/19/01 11:27 AM, Elifarley said:

> Do you intend to release the source code? If so, please send it to me or
> give me a link where I can donwload it.

Yep. I would like to release the 'product' before releasing the code,
especially since it is not finished. I hope to get a real release soon. The
current version has some issues in the importer. The decompressor seems
okay. Not to rag on Apple, but their documentation on components isn't up to
par, making it difficult.

> And how did you manage to circumvent the limitations in quicktime (fixed
> compression ratio and uniform frame sizes, as pointed out by Kevin Marks) ?

To be honest, I never ran into any QT limitations. I can foresee one where
it will be difficult to skip ahead in the Ogg due to the chaining factor,
but that is minor, and can be worked...

Of course one of my problems is incorrect sample count, so the file is
misinterpreted... Sometimes it doesn't play entirely. I didn't even try
adding this code yet, and this may be where I get hung up.

> Does it use the latest release of the Vorbis lib ?

Yep.

Soon soon!
Nick

PS. I released a new Ogg Drop for Mac today: http://www.nouturn.com/oggdrop/