[vorbis-dev] new DLL additions in core libs

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed Sep 12 09:26:12 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 01:14:00PM -0700, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Not much, really, IMHO.

Perhaps I overestimated; I haven't been nearly as deep into the code
as you probably have, but I did note a few of these functions and
suspected that there were others.

> This kind of coding makes for code that's hard to read, and error-prone.
> Funny that you mention _vds_shared_init() in this context.

*gasp* Segher insulting Monty's code? Well it is kinda hard to read,
and people have been reporting crashes in that very function, so...

> I'm not a win32 expert.  But even on un*x, separating the library
> into a libvorbisdec and a libvorbisenc seems to make more sense than
> our current situation.
>
> I'm not saying that we should restructure because win32 seems to have
> some stupid limitations; I'm saying that we might as well try to do
> The Right Thing(tm).

Thinking about it again it seems indeed much more logical; an encoder
typically won't need the decoder parts, and a decoder / player /
(hardware DSP player) won't need the encoding parts. If it's as little
of a waste of code as you make it out to be, so what?

Speaking of which, what's the current status on Vorbis hardware
players?

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>