[vorbis-dev] Problems compiling under OS X

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:34:48 PDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Elifarley C.Coelho wrote:

> While trying to compile libao 0.8.0 under OS X 10.1, I got the following
> problems:

First, I'll warn you that you are venturing into relatively unexplored
territory.  :)  However, being a pioneer isn't a bad thing.

I tinkered with compiling under OS X 10.1 a little while ago and hit the
barrier of my understanding.  Here are my tips:

* Use libao from CVS.  There are a number of fixes that I added, and even an
output driver for the OS X CoreAudio framework contributed long ago that I've
ported to the latest version of libao.  Since I don't actually own an OS X box
(using SourceForge Compile Farm), I don't know if the playback actually works.

* Install the dlcompat library (as rillian suggested).

* Compile and install.

* Go to the doc directory in the libao source dir and try to get ao_example.c
to compile.  I was able to link ao_example to libao statically, but not
dynamically.  When I linked dynamically, I got mysterious missing symbols that
looked almost like the original symbols in my library, but with underscores
stuck in front.  The solution is probably easy, but I don't know what it
is.  :)

This was as far as I got.  If you have more success, please send an update to
the list (or patches to me!).

---
Stan Seibert