[vorbis-dev] #include scheme in vorbis project

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Oct 10 10:37:20 PDT 2001

> About the copying of includes to mssdk or setting up my own include paths,
> that is fine by me... but when the 10 other people working on our project
> gets the new code from source control its much better if they don't have
> add new libraries that is used to their compile environment.

I don't know how you have your environment set up, but here our source
control tree includes a "\include". Under "\include" is all the header files
for commonly available libs (zlib, vorbis, etc), and for all our 'common
dlls' - DLLs that are proprietary, but general in nature (and used in more
than one project locally).

The associated .lib and (optionally) .dll files are on \\fileserver\common
(source control really isn't meant for this kind of binary).

Perhaps you should consider something similar there?

> Is that the way all libraries for *ix systems work?

For the most part, yes.

> And can it be made
> compatible with a relative path methodology?

Not really. Nobody copies the source files for a library into their own
project. They just link against the library (static or dynamic). Heck, this
is how it's done on Windows, too. MS doesn't distribute COMCTL32 in source
form, they just give you the .DLL, .LIB, and .H files. Ditto ODBC, ditto
winsock, ditto "Windows Forms".

Peter Harris