[vorbis-dev] #include scheme in vorbis project

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Oct 10 09:40:46 PDT 2001

> Right now ogg and vorbis stuff relies on ogg and vorbis include paths
> being in global (or local) include path environment. This could easily
> be avoided by using relative includes in vorbis:
>
> #include "..\..\vorbis\include\vorbis\codec.h"
> instead of
> #include <vorbis\codec.h>
>
> This allows the include of vorbis and ogg .h files to be more plug and
> play and you can add the .c files of the library directly to a project
> without defining extra include paths. This is especially important in
> large projects. Right now its pretty easy for me to just modify the code
> in ogg vorbis to work this way, but it seems unnecessary. Is there a
> really good reason that you have it the way it is right now?

Yes, there is a good reason it is done that way. On most non-windows
systems, the stuff under "../../vorbis/include" is moved to "/usr/include"
or "/usr/local/include" at the time vorbis-lib is installed.
<vorbis/codec.h> is then the correct way to reference the installed header
files.

Reading your message headers, you appear to be on windows. Feel free to copy
"vorbis\include\vorbis" to "c:\include\vorbis", if you want to create a
'global include' sort of directory to mirror what you would have on a *ix
system. Alternately, you could copy the files to %MSSdk%\inclcude\vorbis\
(and %MSSdk%\include\ogg\ for the ogg headers), but you'd have to remember
that you'd done that if you ever re-installed the SDK (or when Microsoft
moves the default path and you don't notice... again...)

> Also if the test of vobis codec works out ok here I may be able to
> contribute with optimizations in the form of SSE code and so on, has
> this already been done / is in the process of being done. Is this
> something that you are interested in?

Some of us would find it interesting. The real core developers say that
there are more improvements to be made at the C level before they are going
to bother with assembly. In addition, I imagine SSE optimisations would be a
lot more interesting if they were done to a 1.0 tree.

I would find it interesting from a 'How does one go about writing SSE by
hand?' point of view. Practically, and for now, I'm happy with the ~20%
speedup I get by compiling with Intel's C compiler with SSE turned on. YMMV.

Peter Harris