[vorbis-dev] #include scheme in vorbis project

Erik Olofsson Erik.Olofsson at o3games.com
Wed Oct 10 08:40:45 PDT 2001

I'm trying to implement vorbis into our game engine as a substitute to mp3
and wma encoding. And I have some questions/suggestions in how #includes are
done in vorbis.

Right now ogg and vorbis stuff relies on ogg and vorbis include paths being
in global (or local) include path environment. This could easily be avoided
by using relative includes in vorbis:

#include "..\..\vorbis\include\vorbis\codec.h"
instead of
#include <vorbis\codec.h>

This allows the include of vorbis and ogg .h files to be more plug and play
and you can add the .c files of the library directly to a project without
defining extra include paths. This is especially important in large
projects. Right now its pretty easy for me to just modify the code in ogg
vorbis to work this way, but it seems unnecessary. Is there a really good
reason that you have it the way it is right now?

Also if the test of vobis codec works out ok here I may be able to
contribute with optimizations in the form of SSE code and so on, has this
already been done / is in the process of being done. Is this something that
you are interested in?

Regards,
Erik Olofsson
Starbreeze Studios / O3 Games