[vorbis-dev] RTP

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Oct 2 12:54:40 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:41:50PM -0700, Brian Hook wrote:
> I've seen several references to RTP now, both here and in some other
> forums, and I've browsed the RFC a bit, but I'm still a little confused
> as to "what is RTP?".  Obviously it's a protocol, but what does adhering
> to the protocol buy you?

Mostly preexisting code/hardware for transport management and the
wisdom the RFC has to offer.  One should only be breaking well agreed
upon/tested/polished rules of thumb when one is very conscious of why
one is breaking those rules.

As it is, RTP is as perfect as anything we'd come up with ourselves.
No need to reinvent the wheel.

> Does it guarantee interoperability with other
> applications?

No, just the meat-and-gruntware powering IP delivery.

> I had assumed that any streaming/multicast type
> application would likely implement its own protocol, so I'm not sure
> what the value-add of RTP support is.

RTP is just the one-step-above wire-level protocol.  On top of RTP
there's still plenty to do.  For real application level compatability,
we'd be talking abotu the abstraction level of, roughly, RTSP.

Monty