[vorbis-dev] libvorbisrtp-0.1

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Thu Oct 18 21:49:30 PDT 2001

> I would dispute both points. I've heard it claimed that Real does RTP
> streaming, but I haven't seen it in a shipping client - the
> RealPlayer wants to use 'rdp'.

Isn't it grand?  We have these nifty standards, but because we are all
fighting with codecs they are all useless.

And even if we weren't fighting over codecs, two of the biggest players
still can't interoperate. :)

rdp is Real's own proprietary fun.  They encourage developers to use
this indirectly, but making using RTP harder.  If you use RTP you have
to start implementing a lot of other code inside their SDK.

Of course, considering that a RealPlayer plugin was a one-week project
to get a real plugin working (not a hack), that extra bit of work
doesn't seem so bad compared to what you have to do in the QT framework.
Are we up to 4 people now and 3-4 implemenations and still not one
releasable after months? :)

I think real uses RTP.  I dont' think they follow the standard.  Or if
they are following the standard, there's some ambiguity they rely on.  I
had some discussions about this with Rob Lanphier.  He's almost very
interested in interop, since he is their standards guy.

I remember him mentioning that the RTP over TCP wasn't really well
defined, and that may be the cause of the problem.  Who knows.

You can bet that when I start working on RTP for icecast, I'll be
beating you all over the head to make sure we all interoperate.  For
now, it's much easier for everyone to just to HTTP, which works quite
well, and interoperates almost universally.

Is QT going to be supporting SMIL anytime?  Or do they already?

jack.