[vorbis-dev] libvorbisrtp-0.1

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Thu Oct 18 21:30:52 PDT 2001

At 11:32 PM -0400 10/18/01, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>However, last time we checked, RTSP in Quicktime was hard wired
>to use unicast only. This presents a problem receiving
>RTP multicast.

I think the Server will only send unicast, but the client will
receive multicast. It certainly will if you open the SDP file
directly.

>BTW, Real also does RTP streaming, and it's more widely
>distributed that QT.

I would dispute both points. I've heard it claimed that Real does RTP
streaming, but I haven't seen it in a shipping client - the
RealPlayer wants to use 'rdp'.

  If you can point a RealPlayer client at a QTSS server or vic or rat
or whatever and get a stream I'd like to know how - I spent a fair
bit of time asking Real people about this a while ago, and they were
very closed-mouth about it, probably because their revenue comes from
selling servers.

As for distribution, no-one seems to have good independent figures on this.

  I suspect that anyone at all interested in Web media will have all 3
big players, and an MP3 player or two as well. Other people may well
have had one of the players installed  by the OS or AOL or whatever,
but they shoudln't be counted.