[vorbis-dev] ogg file header?

Bob Kojima bob at fial.com
Wed Oct 17 14:20:11 PDT 2001

>There's quite a lot you have to do to handle all the cases. For the
>most common case, you just have to fix up one or two pages, but it's
>not really worth implementing that case seperately (I found out, I tried
>it). It's best to just implement everything (i.e. the most complex case),
>and use that all the time.
>
>See vorbiscomment (vorbis-tools/vorbiscomment/vcedit.c) for details on
>exactly how to do this (in C. Translations to other languages should
>be straightforward). This actually does _more_ than required (though not
>much more) in order to fix up some streams which old/broken encoders
>produced. I can explain any particularly confusing bits of the code
>if you need.

i have looked at vcedit.c and the following document:
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/framing.html  these helped quite a bit.

a few questions though:

i notice that when ever you make a new ogg file with oggdrop it sets
page_segments to 0x11.  does this suggesting that in the worst case no one
is going to add comments that are longer that 17 * 255 so you always set
page_segments to 0x11?  this must be the minimum expected because the
document says that the max is 255 * 255.  is the 'complex case'  when
comments get > 17 * 255?

can some one point me to the code were the page checksum is computed?  i
understand how to do checksums, but i would like to look at some code to
see exactly which bytes are being used to compute the checksum.  right now
i'm using byte 80 (where 'OggS' begins) to the 0x01 stop byte at the end of
the comments right before the 0x05 vorbis.  these must be the wrong bytes
cause my checksum is not correct.

thank you,

bob

Bob Kojima