[vorbis-dev] ogg file header?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Oct 16 00:46:27 PDT 2001

At 03:28 PM 10/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
>hello,
>
>i'm developing a vorbis ogg comment editor and i have run into some
>problems.  first of all it is a windows program writen in Delphi 4.
>
>ok so i can read the comments and i can write out the new comments but the
>new ogg file will not play.  i think the problem is that i do not
>understand what needs to be changed in the 1st header.  right now i am
>copying the first header, writing the comment header, then copying the rest
>of the file over.  are there pointers that need to be changed in the 1st
>header?  what is all the hype about page boundaries.  i don't quite
>understand that.  is there something i need to do with page boundaries?

There's quite a lot you have to do to handle all the cases. For the
most common case, you just have to fix up one or two pages, but it's
not really worth implementing that case seperately (I found out, I tried
it). It's best to just implement everything (i.e. the most complex case),
and use that all the time.

See vorbiscomment (vorbis-tools/vorbiscomment/vcedit.c) for details on
exactly how to do this (in C. Translations to other languages should
be straightforward). This actually does _more_ than required (though not
much more) in order to fix up some streams which old/broken encoders
produced. I can explain any particularly confusing bits of the code
if you need.

Michael