[vorbis-dev] Re: Some compile time stuff

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 10 10:24:06 PDT 2001

M > What is the error produced?  It doesn't appear in the log.

....ah, and now I see why...  Actually, this is a nifty failure, and we
(well, *I*) haven't seen it before.  The libs were apparently
miscompiled;  gcc/ld produced a shared lib missing neccessary shared
lib symbols.

Now all that remains to be seen is if this is a libtool option error,
if your gcc/ld are broken, if they somehow don't match your ld.so, etc...

> pfk at f:~ > ./conftest
> ./conftest: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0: undefined symbol: __dso_handle

Internal ELF shared object symbol that's not there and it definately
should be.  Autoconf was failing as it should be, and this is an error
well beyond typical user capability to deal with, so it's not
autoconf's fault for not printing a 'more useful error'.

(Although it occurs to me that appending the autoconf error to list a
bug reporting address *should* be possible).

> pfk at f:~ > ls -la /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Oct  9 20:11 /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0 -> libogg.so.0.2.0
> pfk at f:~ > ls -la /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0.2.0
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        16707 Oct  9 20:11 /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0.2.0

OK, I have a few more quick questions that I know Jack and the other
build maintainers will want to know the answers to:

Linux distribution and version
ld.so version (usually part of the filename, eg, ld-2.2.4.so)

gcc --version
ld --version
automake --version
autoconf --version
libtool --version
nm /usr/lib/libogg.so

...and if you could cut/paste the complete screen output of
'./autogen.sh;make; make install' from an Ogg build, we'd be
grateful.  Probably also the src/Makefile would be useful.

*grumble grumble GNU grumble*  I really want to find this one.

Monty