[vorbis-dev] OT: Licence + hi-res logotype

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 4 11:15:58 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:15:05PM +0200, Jonas Beckeman wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just got _very_ scared. I was certain the Ogg libraries could be used in
> commercial products (I know they are used in Star Trek: Away Team and
> Operation Flashpoint). I've also been told several times that it's OK, even
> if they're not GPL, but now I can't find any info on the sites that tells me
> so. Could you please tell me what the deal is (I've used it in a project
> which is going gold tomorrow, so I'm very troubled...)

There is no problem.  Calm down.  You're free to use the libs in any
which way you like; there's nothing about licensing because there
isn't really any (well, the BSD license is indeed technically a
license, but it's pretty lightweight).

The text in the 'COPYING' file at the top of the library module source
trees is all you have to read.

> If it turns out we're alright, could you please tell me exactly where the
> logos and acknowledgements should be in our product (it was while searching
> for this that I started doubting my rights). Have you got a hi-res logo for
> putting into print?

The BSD-style copyright/disclaimer text has to be somewhere in your
distribution.  It can be in the fine print in the back of the manual
or in a text file somewhere bundled with the software.  Of course,
we'd love to have a Vorbis mention somewhere prominent, like an about
box, but that's not necessary.

I'll forward vector format (eps) files of the logos to you directly.

Monty