[vorbis-dev] listening conditions

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Tue May 29 04:31:18 PDT 2001

"DAVID BALAZIC" <david.balazic at uni-mb.si> wrote:

> What are the assumed listening conditions in vorbis ?

The one you have. :-)

> For example there are big differences in perceived sound
> when listening with headphones compared to listening with
> speakers. ( "super stereo effect" , different frequency
> response due to HRTF etc ... ).

Listening with headphones is good for "obvious artifacts"
like pre-echo, frequency distorsions, added noise, dropouts
and so on.
Speakers are good for imaging, checking  the stereo field
(depth, position...) and so on. These types of artifacts are
generally considered "gray area" since they are not so
straightforward as, for example, pre-echo. Also some people
are good at hearing one type of artifacts but not the other...

So I think that serious tests should include both.
Using -b256 Vorbis beta4, I haven't heard that there are some
stereo-artifacts, but I'm not good at imaging so I could be wrong.
Generally, if you are not using joint-stereo and if you use a decent
bitrate (>192kbps), there shouldn't be any stereo-like artifacts...

> Is this stuff worth considering in a vorbis class encoder ?

If there are audible degradations even if you use high bitrates,
then probably yes...

---
Aleksandar @ Vorbis Xtreme | http://solair.eunet.yu/~aldov
Ogg Vorbis is the free, open source alternative to MP3