[vorbis-dev] audio/vorbis media type registration

rillian rillian at telus.net
Tue May 22 09:25:23 PDT 2001

On Saturday, May 19, 2001, at 10:33 , Monty wrote:

> The master TOC on multiplexed Ogg files (which don't yet exist; Vorbis
> is using the degenerate case), will tag streams by media type such
> that it is possible to identify audio, video, whatever, without having
> codec knowledge.

I'm fine with adding this to the toc-format requirements list, though I
think it's of limited usefulness. To do much of the "manipulation and
playback" the original post mentions you have to be able to match the
substreams with their specific codec implementations. I only see this
has helpful for "copy out all the audio tracks" or something like that.
But it's easy to add.

Monty, could you please articulate your idea for this master TOC more
clearly? I spoke to Jack about it last week, and he seemed to thinking
of some kind of special glued-on-the-front section. I really *don't*
think that's the way to go. There's no way to do magic detection this
way, at it either breaks the simplicity of the current spec, or carries
information over a chaining boundary.

I think we're much better off with the primary-substream first method:

     audio/vorbis is any ogg file with a vorbis header packet in the
first page. Any other bitstreams may follow (and be ignored at the
player's discretion).

     video/tarkin is any ogg file with a tarkin header packet (which,
like vorbis begins with the magic 'tarkin' string) in the first page,
optionally followed by other bitstream headers.

     application/ogg is anything else that starts with 'OggS'.

That nicely grandfathers in degenerate streams, and means the TOC (which
would be in its own logical bitstream) can continue to be optional
except when there are 'dvd' features that require it: alternate audio or
video tracks, overlays and subtitiles. In practice, I'd put it after the
primary audio stream or after the primary video and audio streams in a
video file.
Once we fix the ignoring-other-substreams bug, we can be free to use
degenerate streams forever without player compatibility problems.

IMNSO,
  -ralph