[vorbis-dev] audio/vorbis media type registration

Steve Nicolai snicolai at mac.com
Tue May 15 06:48:40 PDT 2001

on 5/14/01 6:29 PM, Segher Boessenkool at segher at chello.nl wrote:

>> I would be very happy if someone could supply the 4-letter filetype code
>> used by MacIntosh .ogg files.
>
> 'OggS'
>
> Note that this is used for _any_ Ogg file, not just vorbis.  And note that
> there doesn't exist a complete Quicktime Vorbis codec yet.

This is correct.  I have not registered it with Apple yet, so it could
still change if that's taken.

> As a media type I used 'Vrbs' for Vorbis content; this is only seen by
> Quicktime itself, and is not on the filesystem.
>
> Maybe Nicolai wants to comment as well?  I hope he takes over the QT Vorbis
> effort, as I have neither time or enough QT experience right now :-)

I haven't gotten this far yet.  But I will use 'Vrbs' for the sound
media type in QT, if it's not already taken.

>> Magic number(s): For vorbis files wrapped inside OggSQUISH
>> files, the first four bytes are 0x4f 0x67
>> 0x67 0x53 corresponding to the string "OggS".
>> The vorbis header will then additionally
>> contain the lowercase string "vorbis"
>> (comprising the bytes 0x76 0x6f 0x72 0x62
>> 0x69 0x73) at offset 0x1d, where offset 0x00
>> is the first byte of the file.
>
> I'm not sure if the "vorbis" header will always be at that location, although
> it seems right, yes.  Monty?

If there is more than one ogg stream, the header could be in
other locations.

Steve Nicolai