[vorbis-dev] One codebook for all audiofiles?

Erik Stenborg d99papa at dtek.chalmers.se
Tue May 29 11:27:25 PDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I think that yours is a poor recommendation.
>
> MPEGplus is a dead end format in my opinion: I has no advantage over mp3
> from an intellectual property prospective. It's client base is miniscule,
> it's platform support is poor (no portable support at all).  There have been
> no scientifically performed listening tests that I'm aware of.

I agree that mp+ has bad platformsupport. But i find the quality superior
to other formats, but... thats just my personal opinion. I've found
several clips where ogg and mp3 produce artifacts but none where mp+ does.
So its still my first choice.

Have you tried it?

Btw, what do you mean by "no advantage over mp3" ? That it isnt a
transformcoder?

> When talking about archival: The poster indicated he was willing to tolerate
> poor compression ratios of 4:1. I would recommend a lossless coder today
> such as FLAC, with later conversion to high bitrate Vorbis for a result with
> long term sustainability.

I agree, but then he cant reach 4:1 ratio. Most lossless compressors only
reaches 2:1.

cheers
/Erik