[vorbis-dev] One codebook for all audiofiles?

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Tue May 29 11:05:52 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 07:51:37PM +0200, Erik Stenborg wrote:
> I recomend you to not use either of them. Vorbis is still beta and has
> some qualityproblems and lame is bound by the limitations of mp3. Use
> mpegplus with the 'insane' setting instead, or maybe the older mp2 format
> at 320 or 384 kbps.

I think that yours is a poor recommendation.

MPEGplus is a dead end format in my opinion: I has no advantage over mp3
from an intellectual property prospective. It's client base is miniscule,
it's platform support is poor (no portable support at all).  There have been
no scientifically performed listening tests that I'm aware of.

When talking about archival: The poster indicated he was willing to tolerate
poor compression ratios of 4:1. I would recommend a lossless coder today
such as FLAC, with later conversion to high bitrate Vorbis for a result with
long term sustainability.