[vorbis-dev] MIME types registration

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue May 22 22:42:00 PDT 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 06:32:55PM -0700, rillian wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 16, 2001, at 03:12 , Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>
> > So do I, if the  audio/vorbis  just applies to the degenerate single
> > stream file we have now, and not to multi-stream (even if it contains
> > audio
> > streams only). That way, an application getting a mime of audio/vorbis
> > can be
> > sure it will be able to handle it.
>
> No, not being able to deal with additional substreams is a bug.
> audio/vorbis applies to any ogg file with vorbis as the *first*
> substream (as determined by header page order) and players should just
> ignore any other substreams if they don't know what to do with them.

Actually, a Vorbis I stream is defined to be degenerate at the moment.
A non-degenerate stream has a metaheader before any stream header.

I'd be willing to consider it a bug, but if we're going to fix it, we
have 7 days to do so.  Considering there's no metaheader spec yet,
there's no realistic chance to do so.

There's a point where you have something working well and you have to
ship it.  The degenerate case is a self contained and necessary evil
:-( Handling the multiplexed case, even if you want to use only one
stream, is a multi month coding and testing effort.  We can't delay
vorbis that long or the argument will become purely academic.

Monty