[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Fri May 11 08:10:59 PDT 2001

Robert Voigt (f1k at gmx.de) wrote :

> On Wednesday 09 May 2001 22:24, Greg Mayer wrote:
> > Consider this:
> >
> > With digital encoding, we are limited to discrete values for signal
> > representation. So if we increase the number of bits available to us in
> > the encoding, then we can get a more accurate representation of the
> > original analog signal. How can we increase the number of bits available?
> > We free up bits that would have been used to store audio signals outside of
> > the normal range of hearing or that were masked by other sounds.
> >
> > You are absolutely right that you cannot increase resolution beyond that of
> > the original recording. But if you have a high quality analog recording,
> > then you can more closely represent the analog signal digitally with more
> > bits available to you. Although, in practice, this increase may not be
> > perceivable to the listener.
>
> Ok, you mean feeding a high quality 24 bit PCM to a perceptual encoder may
> sound better than 16 bit PCM. I agree, but I think the author of that book
> means comparing 16 bit PCM to compressed music where the input to the encoder
> was also 16 bit.

Did you read the book ?

The piece mailed here doesn't mention PCM or even digital audio.
It mentions "perceptual coder" but the tranforms could be done
in a pure analog domain.

>  I quote from "Principles of Digital Audio" by Ken C. Pohlmann:
>
>    "Because perceptual coders tailor the coded signal to the ear's acuity, they
>    similarly tailor the required response of the playback system itself. Live
>    music does not pass through amplifiers and loudspeakers, it goes directly to
>    the ear. But recorded music must pass through the playback signal chain. Much
>    of the original signal present in a live recording merely degrades the
>    playback system's ability to reproduce the audible signal.

How does it degrade ?
Is the level of degradation noticable or even measurable ?

> Because a
>    perceptual coder removes inaudible signal content, the playback system's
>    ability to convey audible music logically should improve.

He says "should improve", not "will improve".

> In short, a
>    perceptual coder more properly codes an audio signal for passage through an
>    audio system."

He doesn't say that any audio quality improvement should or does happen.
Maybe it only reduces the power consumption of the amplifier , now that sounds
logical ( less audio, less energy , less power )

--
David Balazic