[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better thanuncompressed?

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Thu May 10 14:09:42 PDT 2001

Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> writes:
> In fact, most people seem to be pretty tone deaf, and can't really tell much
> difference between good and bad audio, anyway. In a society that buys
> millions of 4inch speakers as sub-woofers, can there really be a widespread
> appreciation of what good sound quality audio actual is?

You've got that right.  I find that I regularly have to go bitch to the
management of our local movie chain (AMC) about major audio problems (and
projection problems, but that's another story).  In particular, I notice that
most people don't seem to notice or care when, say, only the channels on one
side of the theater are working.

Perhaps this was conditioned as the result of listening to all of those (cheap
monaural) cassette players in school for so many years.

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development