[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Wed May 9 21:39:04 PDT 2001

Robert Voigt <f1k at gmx.de> writes:
> Is this bullshit or an interesting thought?

My vote is for "interesting bullshit".  Pushing audio through a codec is
arguably like pushing it through a very complicated dynamic filter.  The
result, like the result of any filter, might sound subjectively better to
someone, or even most people, but I can't see it sounding better to everyone
for all kinds of input.  (There are probably still audiophiles out there that
think vinyl sounds better than 44kHz digital.)

As for the arguments about bandwidth, if you *knew* that every signal your
amplifier (and the rest of your analog path) was going to come from the output
of a certain codec, you might be able to take that fact into account to design
an analog path that sounded better for the price, or whatever.

--Mike

P.S.  I am not a EE, etc.

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development