[vorbis-dev] Can compressed music sound better than uncompressed?

Greg Mayer gmayer at siliconetix.com
Wed May 9 13:24:53 PDT 2001

Consider this:

With digital encoding, we are limited to discrete values for signal
representation.  So if we increase the number of bits available to us in the
encoding, then we can get a more accurate representation of the original
analog signal.  How can we increase the number of bits available?  We free
up bits that would have been used to store audio signals outside of the
normal range of hearing or that were masked by other sounds.

You are absolutely right that you cannot increase resolution beyond that of
the original recording.  But if you have a high quality analog recording,
then you can more closely represent the analog signal digitally with more
bits available to you.  Although, in practice, this increase may not be
perceivable to the listener.

Perhaps it should have read "then the sound quality will be a more accurate
representation of the original recording."

Greg