[vorbis-dev] UTF-8 in comments

Daniel Resare noa at metamatrix.se
Thu Mar 15 15:40:29 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:39:30AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 04:48:49PM +0100, Daniel Resare wrote:
>
> > 1) Add an option --encoding to oggenc that indicates the encoding of the
> > given comment fields. With this information it is possible to iconv()
> > the incoming strings to UTF-8 before writing them to the .ogg file. If no
> > --encoding is given, a reasonable default should be used (ISO-8859-1
> > perhaps? Is there any way to extract information from the current locale
> > about what character encoding to expect from user input?)
>
> Is the LOCALE mechanism widely portable? I think just assuming
> input/output is in the locale's encoding makes more sense given the
> simplicity of oggenc/ogg123. Let the user use conversion tools
> themselves if they're doing something 'non UTF-8' with vorbiscomment.

Without being an expert I'd say the locale system seems to be available
pretty much everywhere on the unix side. On m$ and mac systems I dunno.

I've done some investigation about if there is any way for a program to
know what charset the user expects to see, but as far as i've searched it
seems like it is difficult, at least in a portable way. It seems like the
common way to do it is to just send the raw 8bit characters to stdout and
just hope that the user has set his font so that he sees the correct
glyphs.

/daniel

--
nuclear cia fbi spy password code president bomb
8D97 F297 CA0D 8751 D8EB  12B6 6EA6 727F 9B8D EC2A