[vorbis-dev] decoding to wav problems

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Mar 15 14:27:06 PST 2001

I am successfully able to decode an ogg file to WAV on my NetBSD
i386-based machine. (I build a NetBSD package for 1.0beta4.)

Bit I have been told that decoding to WAV format on a big-endian Apple
Power Macintosh hardware running NetBSD seems to cause bad WAV files. Note
that output to "oss" (using /dev/audio) works fine. This occured with
different ogg files. (I think that ogg123 from vorbis_nightly_cvs-20000818
didn't have this problem.)

The files:

http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/audio/abba-i_have_a_dream-sample.ogg
This is 17 seconds long.

I shortened the WAV files so the downloads will be smaller. They are about
1.5 seconds long -- but long enough to hear the problem.

BAD --> http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/audio/bad.wav (built on big-endian
NetBSD/macppc)

GOOD --> http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/audio/good.wav (built on
little-endian NetBSD/i386)