[vorbis-dev] ov_time_seek to 0s fails... AGAIN

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Mar 1 14:39:22 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:52:57PM +0100, Matthijs Laan wrote:
> Hello everybody, I sent something about this before, but this bug is still
> there, so...
>
> If you call
>   ov_time_seek(vf, 0);
>
> it will fail, returning OV_EFAULT (from ov_pcm_seek_page). I think this must
> be a bug, because seeking to 0 seconds *should* be OK.

I stress tested this before beta 4 release.  Seek to random location,
followed by seek to zero.  After running for an hour on ten samples,
there were no faults.

Something else is up; you're hitting something (somewhere) in vorbis,
in your code, or in a build error (linking the wrong DLLs can cause
this).... but whatever it is, it likely isn't what you think it is.

> Another thing, when ov_time_seek fails with OV_EFAULT, you cannot continue
> playing
> (because of the goto seek_error). This is not clear from the documentation at
> all, after a OV_ENOSEEK or OV_EINVAL error it seems to me that you can continue
> decoding.

OV_EFAULT means "An impossible error just happened (like 2+2=5), and
continuing any further is likely not possible.  The code has shot
itself in the head, and is unconscious and bleeding on the ground.
Have a nice day."

> I think the documentation definitely needs clarification as of when the
> error is fatal
> and if you can continue decoding.

Fair enough.  This error is fatal.

Monty