[vorbis-dev] noisiness measure?

Lourens Veen jsr at dds.nl
Fri Mar 30 10:04:38 PST 2001

First of all, sorry about my crossposting this, but tarkin-dev I think
is thinly populated, and with all those people experienced in DSP in
vorbis-dev I figured it'd be a good idea.

On with the question: given an image and a pair of coordinates, how can
I calculate some sort of noisiness value? If you create an image with
two squares adjacent to one another, and you fill both of them with the
same colour, but you add more noise to one than to the other, you see an
edge. I'd like to take such edges into account as well, but I'd need a
way to calculate how much noise there is.

Any ideas?

Lourens