[vorbis-dev] Pre-echo like noises on Beta4

Sam Gamgee bacchus13 at zdnetonebox.com
Thu Mar 1 07:31:28 PST 2001

Hi, there.

Although I'm not a hacker at all, I noticed an audible noise on Beta
4 encoded files.  So, I'd like to report it here.

I ripped and encoded 'A Day Without Rain' on the album with the same
name By Enya into Vorbis using Oggenc and Oggdrop Beta 4 from the Vorbis
site.  (You know, she is quite an encoder-killer.)  At all the bitrates,
files encoded by Oggdrop had audible noises like a pre-echo.  For sure,
I tried Oggenc at 350 bitrate only to find it also had the same result.
 Although I don't think it is a decoding problem, just in case, I used
Vorbis Winamp plug-in Beta 4 from the Vorbis site.

Although I really appreciate your effort to improve Vorbis and personally,
I think that Vorbis sounds 'richer' than MP3 in many cases, I feel that
Vorbis is not always reliable and this is one example.  It may be suitable
for us to try the files on the LAME site.  Or, have you got such kind
of 'bad-encoding library' by yourselves?  In any case, good luck on your
development.

Cheers, Bacchus13