[vorbis-dev] Damning with faint praise?

Kevin Marks kmarks at apple.com
Tue Jun 26 17:42:11 PDT 2001

MP3 owners get stroppy with open source coders
By Tony Smith

[...]
The MP3 partners won't win themselves any friends for their licensing
policy, which has seen them bashing open source MP3 encoder
development efforts.

Fraunhofer and Thomson's ownership of key technologies incorporated
into MP3 allows them to demand royalties from anyone using their
intellectual property. This despite the fact that MP3 is, nominally
at least, an open standard. The fees apply to anyone who produces a
commercial MP3 player and all MP3 encoders, be they commercial or
freeware.

Hence the message Dutch developer 8Hz Productions ("two students in
Amsterdam programming for the sake of learning") recently received
from Fraunhofer regarding its open source 8Hz-MP3 software. Says the
organisation: "We have received an email from Fraunhofer (as have
more developers) to negotiate the licensing for the MP3 encoder. As
we are poor students, paying the license is not really a viable
option."

Fraunhofer wanted $25,000 a year from the two students

[...]

Either project - or any other open source MP3 encoder, for that
matter - could check out the open source codec, Ogg Vorbis, which
offers comparable size and sound quality to MP3. We don't know if
it's any good, and it's unlikely - for the time being at least - to
be supported by portable music players, but with every aspect of its
structure - encoder, decoder, data format - issued under the GPL
(some bits come under the remit of the BSD licence), it's free to use.