[vorbis-dev] Patch for bitrate information in ogginfo

Beni Cherniavsky cben at crosswinds.net
Mon Jul 30 06:19:52 PDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 volsung at asu.edu wrote:

> If so, I'm going to modify the patch to say "bitrate_upper=none" and
> "bitrate_lower=none" if these values are set to -1.  Hopefully, this will
> prevent confusion.

IIRC, the nominal bitrate can be unset too.  This means it is the default
of the specific encoder (libvorbis) version.  The default has changed from
160 to 128 and will probably go down with channel coupling.  This means
that files with all 3 fields unset provide no useful information.
Wouldn't it be better if libvorbis filled the nominal field with the
default used?  The spec will still allow files with all fields unset but
less such files will be created.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at crosswinds.net>
                 (also scben at t2,cben at tx in Technion)